Sunday, December 16, 2012

hilda tam.

I met Hilda when I was a freshman in college. I've always admired her eye for practically everything in the arts: photography, crafts, graphic design, and video. Hilda volunteered to be interviewed and photographed for my project, and I'm so glad she did!

We had coffee and talked at Casa De Luna Coffee House in Downtown Bellflower. I've never walked around Downtown Bellflower before, so it was cool to explore!

{Hilda Tam. 23. Graphic Designer. UCI 2011 Graduate.}
Website. Tumblr


How about you tell me a little bit about yourself.
H: Well, my name is Hilda Tam. I am a recent graduate and I am an artist, I guess. I do mostly graphic design, but am interested in a lot of art-related things, like illustration. I’m interested in photography, but I wouldn't call myself a photographer. I like doing crafts like making costumes, or whatever it is in my hands. I guess I would say I’m an artist all around, like in music, too.

Would you describe yourself as an artist?
H: Yeah, I’d say so. I think because most of the things I’m interested in are art-related, or more on the creative side. When people would ask me, “What would you do if you weren’t into graphic design, or drawing?” then my second answer would be, "I’d be interested in performing, doing comedy, or acting, or maybe I’d be a musician," or something like that. My next answer to not being a graphic designer or illustrator would automatically go into something else that’s creative.


What got you into art? Or, you said graphic design is your...
H: It’s like my go-to thing. The most prolific thing I do is probably graphic design. I've always been interested in art ever since I was a kid. I think I still have pages and piles of drawings I used to do when I was a kid. They would all be the marker/crayon drawings, but I remember bringing around paper whenever I went someplace, and I would always have something to draw. Or one of those etch-a-sketch magnetic boards, I used to have one of those, and it’d be really easy just to erase my drawing, and do another one and keep on doing that throughout the day. 

I’ve always been interested in art, but I guess I got more into graphic design around high school. I had a friend that was making things for her Xanga, and I thought, “Wow, that’s cool! I want to learn how to do that, too!” so I tried doing it, and started looking things up. I guess that’s just how it got started, and I did it more in college when people would ask me to make things for them. The more I did things, the more people would know, then people would ask me, and that’s really how I got started.

Would you say that all your other artistic interests sprouted off from that? You just had other interests in making costumes, photography, and other things?
H: I wouldn't say it came off from doing graphics because I think I had interest in those things before, but I just never really pursued them until maybe high school or college. Probably because of funds, or not having equipment. I’d be interested in photography, but I wouldn't have a nice camera. Or I’d be interested in making costumes, but I wouldn't have a sewing machine at the time, so things I made were small hand-made things, or hand sewing things. As I got older, then those things became more available, and that’s how I started getting into them more.


Do you feel ever since you got a sewing machine and a camera, you've been able to make more stuff, or your creativity has been able to go off?
H: Yeah, I think so.  Now that there are things available to me, I feel like when I want to do something, I don’t have to sit around and wonder how I’m going to do it or how do I have the means to do it. I feel like I do have the means, but it’s more of my own personal desire to want to do something. Like doing side projects to keep myself motivated and inspired. Now it’s something I have to push myself to do. I enjoy doing it, it’s not always easy of course, we have periods of time where we're like, “Ugh, I don’t feel like doing anything,” but then once you get started on a project, it’s really hard to stop. You want to see it finished, and you’re in the zone. I think that’s the most exciting part; being in the zone and being so excited to have it be finished and to see it come into fruition.


Are there any projects you’re working on now, and what are one or a few of the projects you’re most proud of? Or that have made you really happy?
H: I’m actually trying to redesign my website and get business cards going. I think the one thing I’m currently working on are a few logos for my friend’s food blog. I’m trying to create something for her to put on her website so she can start her own branding. I’m trying to do my own branding thing, too. I always have a lot of ideas that are in my head or on a piece of paper, but for some reason I just don’t end up doing them until I feel like I have to do it and then the list starts getting really long and I tell myself, “Okay, these are just things on a list. When are they going to be actual projects?” 


When does that happen for you? When you have such a long list, but when does it actually happen?
H: Usually I try to keep myself motivated when I follow a lot of artists on Tumblr. Or I try to keep up with a lot of artists’ websites to see what kind of updates they have. I admire the way that other artists can keep themselves so motivated. I feel like that’s a difficult thing when you don’t necessarily have anything to keep you from doing it, or keep you going besides yourself. Especially if you’re doing a job that’s totally unrelated to what you’re interested in, but you kind of do it on the side, it’s really up to you to keep it going. When I look at what other artists do, or I follow things on Tumblr that I’m interested in,  that’s the kind of thing that helps me turn an idea into an actual project. You see something, and you think, “Man, I want to do that, too,” or, “Wow, that’s really cool! I can do something just like that.” 

I guess that branches into what I actually have ideas for. I could tell you I have business cards ideas. I have Christmas card ideas, too. Especially since it’s the holidays, and I want to put them on paper so I could actually use them for something. I have ideas for making clothes. I have a lot of old t-shirts that I’ve kind of been saving up that I don’t really wear anymore. One of the ideas I have not done anything with is making a t-shirt quilt. Like, cutting out the design of the t-shirts, and having squares of t-shirts and making it into a quilt rather than just throwing them away or donating them. Y’know we have a lot of t-shirts that mean a lot to us and you’re like, “I have 50 t-shirts, but I don’t know what to do with them and they still have so much meaning to me.”


Are there any projects, whether through video, editing, production, graphic design, or all the other art things that you do, that particularly are memorable or that you are really proud of?
H: Well I think a lot of projects that took the longest time. When I look back on it I think, “Man, I can’t believe I did that,” or “I can’t believe I spent so much time doing that!” Actually, there was a project that I did in school for a production class and we had to make a short film for the class. I’ve always helped out with short films, but I’ve never actually done it myself. Or I’ve always had other people helping out, and I kind of just contributed to it. For this class, I didn’t really have help with writing it. We had to write it, direct it, film it ourselves. Then we had to get people to be in it, and I’ve never actually produced anything before. So that was scary to me because I didn’t want to screw it up or have people show up and it would turn out really suck-y or something. But after filming it and editing it and asking people to help out, it was really rewarding because it was such a humbling experience. It was kind of stressful, but it was also really fun. Sometimes I look back on the film I made and put together, and sometimes in my head, I think, “Why did I do that?” or “Why did I decide to use that?” or there’s a lot of things I could have done, or should have done. But then I’m really proud of it, because there are a lot of good things where I’m glad I did do. It’s kind of weird, when I look back at it, or when I watch the film again, I feel so proud of myself, like, “Man you did such a good job, Hilda! You are so good!” 


For film and production, was that mostly college or...?
H: My interest in it came in my senior year of high school. I never actually thought about doing it until we had to do a project like that in high school and I realized how much fun it was. I tried to help out whenever I could with student films when I was in college and do my part, or find films I could participate in because I wanted to learn more about it. I guess the interest developed more when I was in college, and now it’s also one of the things I would like to get into and do in the future. 

What motivates you, whether in your art or in life?
H: I would say life in general motivates me, because some people that I talk to, I feel they think life is like a series of steps that you’re supposed to take. You’re supposed to go to school, you’re supposed to go to college, you’re supposed to get a 9-5 job, and you’re supposed to buy a house, and start a family, and save up for retirement. Yeah, all of those things are true, but that’s not really how I think of it. Those are things we’re “supposed to” or are “expected to” do, but I don’t like that nowadays that’s what it is. Because it sounds so typical, and so average. I feel like there is so much more you can do with life. When I’m old and feeble, and when I’m a grandma, I don’t want to think about all the steps I had to take, or all the expectations -- those aren’t the things you think about when you’re old and on your deathbed. You think of the things you’re proud that you did, or the things that you didn’t regret. I wouldn’t want to make a decision where I know later on I would regret. I feel like that’s the way that I go through life, which is one of the things that keeps me passionate. The things I’m interested in are the things that I’m passionate about. I could easily just think like, “Oh, these are just dreams. They’re just things that I dream about, but they don’t necessarily become a reality.” I could think that way, and work a 9-5 job doing something I don’t necessarily enjoy and just do that kind of thing on the side, but I feel like if I did try to go for it, or if I did chase after my dream as hard as I could, then when I finally get it, then it’s that’s much more satisfying than thinking it’s just an idea.

What helps you keep those dreams alive? Because I think for a lot of people they think that way: “Well, they’re just dreams. I need to work a 9-5 job because that’s what people do,”
H: Or that’s easier, or that’s more stable. And yeah, I understand that; people strive for something more stable because it’s easier, but is that satisfying?  I guess that’s what I think about it. I want to do things that I feel like are satisfying, not just okay. I don’t want to just settle for okay.






So is it those questions that keep your dreams alive?
H: Well, I do admit that it’s hard. I do have thoughts sometimes of, “What if these are just dreams?” or “What if God just gives me these dreams and says, ‘No, Hilda. You’re actually just going to be here and these are just dreams that aren’t going to be anything,’”. But then I think, “That kind of sucks. God, why would you give me these passions and dreams if I’m not supposed to do anything with them?” It is difficult, especially being a post-grad and not really having that career yet; not seeing how it all falls into place, a pathway that you’re supposed to take, or how you’re going to get to these goals. It’s really easy to give up and not go for them anymore because you don’t really know where to go. 

I think one of the things that I keep in mind when I have those thoughts of maybe wanting to give up or do something a little easier, is what Steve Jobs said. He was telling about his life, and how he’s a college dropout and didn’t know what he was supposed to do. He was talking about where he was now, because before he was living at his parents’ garage. He didn’t know where his life was going to go, but looking back then, he saw the pathway that he was supposed to take, and how it all lead to where he was then. I think about it that way, and it’s true: I don’t know where my life is going to go, but maybe I’m wrong. Maybe my doubts are just doubts and if I keep going, then later on I’ll be able to see how the path that I took was meant to lead me to my future.


It’s just hard, though.
H: It is hard. I feel like our dreams change. Maybe what we wanted before wouldn’t be what we want in the future. I have to keep that in mind, too. Maybe what I want right now will be different and I guess I have to learn to be okay with that. I don’t have to always chase after whatever it is that I wanted in school. If I decide to do something else, I have to be okay with letting go of the old dream and accepting the new one. 

As an artist, do you have people you could bounce ideas off of?
H: Instead of bouncing ideas off of people, I kind of just go with the flow. I have this idea, I’ll make it, I’ll turn it into a picture, or I’ll turn it into some kind of design.  And however it turns up, that’s what will be. 


Do you have specific people that you look up to, or who you admire? Or artists?
H: There’s two more well-known artists that I follow. One of them is Scott Campbell. He does these really neat water color paintings, and they’re really small. I really love his ideas, his creativeness and the way he renders his paintings, but they’re so key, but there’s also certain details. I started following him because he does this series called, “The Great Showdowns” and these showdowns are references to movies, TV shows, or books. And they’re usually people against each other. I also follow an artist named Mike Mitchell. He paints and he does a lot of references to TV shows and movies. 
Can you say what you told me earlier, how we focus so much on what we can’t do or what we don’t have versus what we can do? Do you remember saying that? It was before we started recording, but...
H: I think I was talking about people that maybe don’t necessarily get into the school, program, or full-time job they really wanted, and they kind of feel like their worth is rooted in the things that they weren’t able to get. And it’s like, yeah you could be sad about it, or you could feel like your worth was put into that job or that school you really wanted to go to, but there’s so much more about you that is more than just a job, and more than just going to school. When you encounter those things that you didn’t get, then I feel like people should start thinking about other areas they could excel at. I mean, there are plenty of other things you could be doing or using your time that are just as valuable, you know? Instead of thinking about the things you didn’t get, maybe you should think about the things you now have time for, and things you can really excel at and use that as a part of your worth. And not those other things.

You were saying something earlier about other artists think that they’re not as good as so-and-so...
H: Yeah. I’m not good at that kind of thing, but then I look at artists who excel in one area of something, like maybe they’re really good at drawing. Maybe they’re really good at illustration, or creating graphics, but they’re not necessarily great at painting, but when I look at them, I don’t think that way of them. I don’t look at their art and think they’re not good at this thing, or they’re not good at this thing. I look at what they do and I admire what they excel at. I admire the way that they seem like they know what they’re good at, so they push that more instead of worrying about what they’re not good at.

Kind of going back to what you said about what you can do versus what you can’t do, what you don’t have.
H: Yeah. Don’t be sad about what you don’t have, but think about the things that you are good at and the things that you do have, and push that area more. Because that’s when you’re going to grow. That’s where you’re really going to excel and probably you’re going to be most happy in, when you’re doing something you know that you’re good at.
Because you have a lot of dreams, whether they’re big or small, would you call yourself a dreamer?
H: I guess I would. I guess I can’t say this about other people, but I almost feel like I dream about more so than other people that I know who are very focused on one thing that they’re doing. It’s not a bad thing, if they know what they want to do and what they’re going after; power to them. I feel like I’m so interested in a lot of things, like I’m a big dreamer, which could be a good or a bad thing. I could just be dreaming all the time and not living in reality type of thing. 
Who do you look up to, or who has shaped you into the person you are today? Like I guess more personal-wise, in your life?
H: Hm… To be honest, I don’t think I can really chalk it up to a person. Uhm, this sounds like a really Christian answer, but I’m going to say God. I didn’t really have a particular person I looked up to when I was growing up, but I think that how my life has turned out, or how situations have turned out, or the way that I grew up, I would really have to say that if I wasn’t a Christian and if I didn’t know God, I probably could have turned out to be a bad person. Not that I’m trying to make it sound like people who don’t know God are bad people, but I always think about, man, if I didn’t know God, would I have done this? Or would I have been a lot crazier? Would I have gotten into things that may have turned my life for the worse? I think about those things, but the way that I guess I’ve grown up and the way that my life has turned out, I’m really thankful that because I knew God, He was able to keep me more down-to-earth and more appreciative of the things that I have, or able to keep me from going off of the rails. 
Looking at the past 20 something years, what do you feel like the story to tell other people looks like? From all your experiences, and all that you’ve done.
H: I guess I’d have to say that your life is what you make of it. I guess this kind of goes back to what I said about how life isn’t just a series of steps that you have to take, but it is what you make of it. Lots of people have very satisfying, happy lives, not doing the typical things that we’re supposed to do, and that’s okay. I’d say that life is not a series of steps, but it’s what you can look back on and be proud of. And if it is working a 9-5 job and doing all these different things, and you’re happy with that, that’s okay too. But if you’re not happy with that then it’s fine to do what you want to do. It’s okay to be different and to not know because I really don’t think anyone in the world knows what they’re doing. I don’t think my parents always know what they’re doing. There isn’t a handbook about what you’re supposed to do next, right? And there isn’t a specific year that you’re supposed to do something, or a specific age you’re supposed to do something. 

I wanted to say something along the lines of: Don’t be so worried about the material things that you have; don’t be cynical. I hate it when people are really cynical. I actually know a lot of people who think that way, and I don’t feel like they lead such happy lives. I think there’s a lot of good people in this world and if you just try your best and you try to survive, then good things will happen and don’t be so worried if they don’t happen right away, but I guess you never know how things are going to turn about from where you are. When you look back at how you got to where you are now, it makes sense, but you don’t see it in the beginning -- you see it at the end.
Is there anything that you want to share about yourself, or like who you are, or like anything?
H: I’m a nerd. I like geeky things. Actually that’s one of the things I follow on Tumblr: Geek Art. Geek Art, it’s a Tumblr where they post a lot of art by artists that relate to nerdy things. Lots of gaming references, lots of people who do like fine art things, or a lot of illustration based on games, movies, sci-fi, y’know Avengers, superheroes, that kind of thing? That’s also one of the things that keep me interested because I’m totally into nerdy stuff, sci-fi things.

{Hilda Tam. Dreamer.}

No comments:

Post a Comment